Sunday, April 20, 2008

Staying in the SAFE ZONE on the Influence Line


Through the activity I performed from the text “Media Literacy” I learned that for the most part, of the 13 factors listed, I am only affected by a select few of them. After reviewing each of the 7 set point factors and 6 factors special to a type of effect, I found that I am not necessarily at risk to act aggressively from playing a violent video game.
According to an article found at the website http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html, violence in video games can promote more aggression than any other form of media because of the interaction involved. My strength in my developmental maturities, cognitive abilities, knowledge structures, sociological factors, lifestyle, and personal locus allow me to avoid any aggression and from getting too close to the manifestation line. For instance, my lifestyle is one that consists of normalcy in that I do not participate or promote violence nor am I ever exposed to it in real life. Therefore, I can easily avoid any major effects from the violent lifestyle I expose myself to when playing a video game.
As far as the other points like media exposure habits, and the special types of content of messages, context portrayals, cognitive complexity of content, motivations, states, and character identification, I struggle to not be directly effected. For instance, I enjoy playing military video games. This can fall under context portrayals as I am exposed to violent activities towards enemy soldiers such as the Al-Qaeda; I am then exposed to the same context in the news concerning the War in Iraq. This often causes me to have thoughts of aggression and violence towards the Al-Qaeda.
Another special type of effect that I related to was that of the degree of identification. As stated in the video, “Game Over,” people like to be able to relate the character that they are portraying. In my case, I loved to play Duke Nukem for that very reason. He was big, strong, violent, and the women loved him. The text in the “Media Literacy” book talks about the “as if” experience where I find myself imagining if I were Duke Nukem.
After conducting this experiment, I was happy to learn that I lie in a safe area on the influence line. I am definitely not too close to the manifestation line but because I am effected by many of the factors special to a type of effect (i.e.: media exposure habits) I can never be un-influenced. I would like my life with media to change for the better by being able to recognize when I am falling victim to any of the risk set points. For instance, if I am using a violent video game to release some anger or stress, I hope to be able to realize that the violence is not a good way to release stress in real-life scenarios. I also hope to continue to maintain the areas that keep me from nearing the manifestation line such as sustaining my developmental maturities, and knowledge structures.

No comments: